Sep 28, 2014

Saving in East Texas!

We all like to save money. and in these times it is imperative that we all stretch our dollars to the max.  I have always had a limited budget,  plus I think it is just my nature to try to save as much as possible.  This seems even more important today.

Last month we saved a lot at Dollar General Store by using coupons and taking advantage of sales and promotions.  I'm no super couponer, but I use coupons if it is something we use, and try to combine coupons with sales for even bigger savings.

Each week Dollar General Store offers a coupon for $5 off on a $25 purchase. Sometimes I print it off from their on-line coupons, or if we pickup an item from Dollar General during the week we have a -$5 coupon on that receipt.  We use this for paper plates, drinks, dish wash soap.and other household items that we use. We use other coupons in conjunction with the $5 off one for further savings.  This time, the All laundry detergent that we use was on sale for $3.50 instead of the usual $5, and I had a coupon for $1 off on two cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew. (There is a good Crockpot meal that is quick and easy using Dinty Moore Beef Stew to make a stroganaf)That made for a savings of $7.50 ($5 off the order, a $1 coupon and the $1.50 sale savings) plus we saved by getting some DG brand products.  The only way I might have done better would have been to have had a cents off coupon for the All in addition to the sale--next time!  As it is I got $28.64 in product for $21.14 tax included.  That's pretty close to 25% savings the way I figure it.

This week, Dollar General sent me a deal for digital coupons.  I signed up for this as it offered $2 off on a purchase of $2.01 or more.  There are other advantages to the digital format including one which is particularly good for me, that of making a list on-line.  I'm sure there will be other perks, too.

Brookshire Brothers is also changing the format for their free and reduced price coupons.  I can't wait to see what goodies they will offer and how to get them.  We have often bought $10 worth of sale items at BB to get the freebies in the past.  We have gotten many free items this way.

We have also learned that Bluebell ice cream lovers can get 2 coupons/month for $1 off on a half gallon of Bluebell.  This is at their website bluebell.com.  We usually take advantage of the sales at Brookshire Brothers and with the sale price and the coupon we get a full half gallon of Bluebell ice cream for $3.00.  That sure beats going to the local DQ or Sonic for treats.

Happy Savings!

No comments:

Post a Comment