Nov 9, 2010

In the Kitchen

I must say that, even though I mostly enjoy everything I do, being in the kitchen is a special thing for me. Of all my activities, planning meals and cooking are special pleasure. 
I am looking forward to cooking Thanksgiving Dinner.  I mean a Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner with Turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, and home-made sweet potato pie.  Hubby will probably smoke the turkey on the outdoor charcoal grill, but I will make the southern style cornbread dressing and giblet gravy and all the trimmings.  I'll cheat and buy cranberry sauce in a can this time and probably make the green bean casserole with mushroom soup and the canned french fried onions.  That is easy to do and a usual hit.  The problem is not to cook too much when you don't have very many people around to do the eating.  We will have to get busy the rest of the week and invite some added guests to help us out on the eating part.

For the ESN scavenger hunt this week we are looking for things In The Kitchen.
I know that many are cutting back on spending this holiday season and I was just noticing how many really neat small gift items that are shown on ESN photos when I search kitchen decor.  Cleos Collectables has all sorts of neat decorator items for the kitchen.  There are items for any theme, such as these lovely theme based items.

Set of 2 Ritz Fat Italian Chef Kitchen Towels









These kitchen linens which richly compliment a grape themed kitchen


The Perfect plaque for someone's coffee themed kitchen.
























Or you may know someone who collects salt and pepper shakers.  If so, take a look at these shops.  You might find themed salt and peppers to match someone's kitchen or the ones they need to make their china set complete.
made in Occupied Japan


Comycgyrl has this unusual and collectible
Occupied Japan Anthropomorphic Whimsical Eggplant Grape Turnip Salt and Pepper Shaker Set

And these Westinghouse Gemco Milk Glass Salt and Pepper Shakers with Butterflies and Flowers

Gemco Salt and Pepper Shakers

Vintage Japan Gingerbread Couple.




And this too, too precious Gingerbread Man and Woman among many others.








From England, Apple Design








Or this elegant English Set from Eccentric Thrifter
         might appeal to you. 

You can find even more Salt and Pepper Sets Here

Another thing I love, myself, that would be a great gift idea is cookbooks.  You can find holiday cookbooks like Santa's Favorite Cookies.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Or a good basic "how to cook" book
                                                                                         like many of us learned to cook by, 
                                                                                     such as the Sunset "Good Cook's Handbook"
from My Book Barn
from Book Worm Bargains



Search Recipes on ESN to find more.

I wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving. I hope you all enjoy the good food and the time with family and friends. Be sure to count your blessings every day.





4 comments:

  1. Very nice, Hazel. I cheat on the cranberries and green bean casserole, too. Not too many of my family will eat cranberries (so why waste the time, right?) and don't think I've ever had anything other than the can mushroom soup and canned french onion rings. My grandmother even made it that way. But, oh, I miss her oyster dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your style of posting! It's so homey. Oh, and what time do we eat? You do have an extra chair, right, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not that far from Silsbee - what time is dinner and do you want me to bring dessert!?

    ReplyDelete